Windows 7 and Server 2008 is Reaching its End of Life. Are You Prepared?
Most businesses today rely on Microsoft software to run their operations daily. Changes from the software giant coming in 2020, could have a negative impact on your business if you decide not to upgrade before its end of life. Let’s look at what’s happening and how this change could affect you and your business. Then we’ll talk about the benefits to making the switch now.
So, it’s official. After close to 10 years, both Microsoft Windows 7 and Server 2008 are finally reaching their end of life in January 2020. This software will be put on the ‘do not support list’. IT professionals are recommending businesses plan their upgrades now. Essentially, once support ends, if the software stops working, there will be no one able to fix it.
Here are some of the factors to consider if you decide not to upgrade:
- Microsoft will no longer provide support, patches or updates. This means your systems will begin to experience slowdown and/or performance issues.
- Outdated software is an easy target for hackers. End of life software becomes an ideal target for hackers since there will be no more patches or updates to fix vulnerabilities in the software.
- Your business will no longer be GDPR compliant. If you do business online, or overseas, out-of-date software goes against General Data Protection Regulations.
- Not upgrading now could become costly later. You will have to replace these systems eventually, so why not do it now when you have control over the situation. Waiting until you have an issue could cost you not only financially, but may put your data at risk, or worse, you could lose it.
Upgrading your systems before next year will get you on the path to:
- Receive patches and updates as they become available. Patches and updates will keep your software running smoothly and operations more secure.
- Microsoft provides support on the latest software. You will have peace of mind knowing if there is ever an issue, the software is fully supported and there’s someone you can call for help.
- Your data is better protected. Microsoft continuously fixes bugs and vulnerabilities in their current software offerings to help protect user data.
- You’re proactively planning rather than doing damage control. Instead of waiting until these systems break, save yourself the time, money, and added stress now by making the switch!
So now that you have the rundown, it’s a good idea to start planning for your upgrades. If your business is partnered with Cleartech Group, you’ve already received a notification regarding this change. Please contact us to set up a meeting to review your personalized upgrade plan.
If you are not yet a partner, now’s a good time to consider utilizing Cleartech Group as your IT Solutions provider. We stay on top of technology trends and keep track of your hardware and software, so you don’t have to. Our monthly plans are value enriched and affordable to help your business and employees stay productive.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 978-466-1938. We are happy to assist in any way we can!